Friday, December 16, 2016

The Universal Truth...You can't change other people

I wish this was a pamphlet handed out at birth. It would have probably saved me over 30 years of pain and insanity. Lol, seriously. At a young age I became a fixer. I thought I had the magic in me and the power to change fucked up people from their fucked up ways like I had some type of magical fairy wand to do so. Let me tell you, I never got too far with my attempts, but boy did I get myself into some crazy situations. From dating addicts, trying to get them to stop using drugs, from dating players trying to get them to be faithful and not lie, from dating narcissists and abusers, trying to get them to stop verbally abusing me or cheating on me..My life became a fucking Girl Interrupted Script. Seriously, I really thought that if i could make them see the error in their ways, I would get them to feel bad enough to change. The joke was on me. And I never realized this until many years later, after many tears and nights sitting in the chairs of Codependent Anonymous. This was probably the hardest pill for me to swallow and this took me the longest time in the world to accept. I fought this theory like I had never fought anything in my life. And all I ended up was crazy as fuck trying to change others and make them see the light. The simple truth is we cannot change other people. It doesn't matter if we are right and they are wrong, it doesn't matter if they know how fucked up they are, it does not matter if the sky is blue and they think it's green. It simply does not matter we cannot change others and trying to do so, will make us sick, tired and insane. So there it is. The universal truth. The sooner you let this theory sink into every part of your body, mind, soul, cells and blood, the less pain you will be in throughout your life. None, not a single one of the people that I tried to change in my life, ever changed. Not for me. And i made myself even physically ill trying to get them to feel bad enough to want to change. And it never happened. And they never cared not one bit how sick I made myself. The only person in this world that we have control over is ourselves. We are the only people we can change. Attempting to change another person will only take away from you and hurt you. It's time to let go, detach with love, and start focusing on yourself. Anytime you find yourself brainstorming methods of how to make them change, turn it back to you. Put the focus back on you each an every time and I promise that you will find your peace again. We cannot control other people and trying to do so, will make us fucking crazy. So get off the control roller coaster because control is an illusion. It took me 36 fucking years to learn this lesson. And everything changed once I fully accepted this truth of life. This does not mean you have to accept abuse or anything they dish out, if you are in an abusive relationship, this means you look within and realize your worth and leave that abusive person who will not change behind. Put the focus back on you each time, and you will save yourself so much pain. I promise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment